SECTION B: LOCAL GOVERNANCE
- BA | Board Legal Status
- BB | Board Members
- BC | Board Officers and Officials
- BD | Board Meetings - Regular and Special Meetings
- BE | Division of Responsibility
- BF | Board Policy
- BG | Chief Executive Officer
- BH | Substantive Change
BOARD LEGAL STATUS
COMPOSITION, RESPONSIBILITIES, POWERS, AND DUTIES
The official governing body of Navarro College is the Board of Trustees. The Board is composed of seven members who are residents of the college taxing district (Navarro County) and are elected by the qualified voters for the district.
Four trustees shall be elected from single-member districts and three trustees shall be elected at large within the college’s taxing district. Trustees representing a single-member district must reside within their respective district.
The Navarro College Board of Trustees:
- Exercises fiduciary oversight of the institution.
- Is expected to preserve institutional independence and to defend its right to manage its own affairs through its chosen administrators and employees.
- Shall enhance the public image of the Navarro College District under its governance.
- Shall advocate for the college to the community and advocate for the community to the college.
- Shall nurture the College District under its governance to the end that it achieves its full potential within its role and mission.
- Shall insist on clarity of focus and mission of the College District under its governance.
- Shall remain free from undue influence from political, religious, or other external bodies and protect the institution from such influence.
- Shall evaluate and assess their responsibilities, expectations, and performance as the official governing body of the institution every even-numbered year.
POWERS AND DUTIES
The Board shall have specific powers and duties imposed by statutes of the state. The Board has the legal power and duty to:
- Set tuition, rates and fees.
- Adopt such policies deemed necessary for the efficient operation of the District.
- Adopt a tax rate each fiscal year.
- Approve an annual budget
- Appoint and evaluate the District President.
- Delegate authority to District President to employ personnel.
Reviewed/Updated: October 22, 2020